Brewing markets have one of the most stringent sets of quality standards of all the small grain markets. The humid northeastern climate of NYS can make this all the more challenging; even in the western North American malting barley regions, a significant percentage of barley crops may not meet malting quality standards in a given year. A grave mistake that NYS growers can make is to underestimate and/or be uninformed about the management attention that malting barley needs in order to achieve malting quality standards. If inadequate management is coupled with a difficult weather year, the chance of a malting barley crop failure is high. Operating in a new, developing craft economy also has its own set of challenges. Several aspects of malting barley need to be understood to manage the crop’s potential to produce and meet market quality specifications for craft markets in our climate and context.
- Ten keys to successful malting barley production in New York (webpage | PDF)
- Active NY malt houses purchasing grains (webpage | PDF)
- Timing malting barley harvest (webpage | PDF)
Grain Drying and Storage Resources
- Natural Air-Low Temperature Crop Drying (Downloadable PDF)
- Allowable Storage Time Malting Barley (Downloadable PDF)
- Grain Equilibrium Moisture Content Charts (Downloadable PDF)
- Cool Grain to Prevent Storage Problems
For more information on grain drying and storage, visit North Dakota State University's Grain Drying & Storage webpage.
- NY Malting Barley Education Program brochure (Download PDF)
- Understanding Malting Barley Quality, from the Hartwick College Center for Craft Food & Beverage - PDF
- Harvest and storage of malting barley (NMSP PDF Fact Sheet)
- NY farmers to get access to crop insurance for malting barley
- Gary Bergstrom - Malting Barley for New York: Opportunities, Challenges, Research, and Education - Presentation by Gary Bergstrom, Professor of Plant Pathology and Plant-Microbe Biology, School of Integrative Plant Science, Cornell University
- Nutrient Management Spear Program Fact Sheets